Note: Google Classroom does this automatically for any assignment that includes a Google file.
Google Docs Templates
Sharing templates through Google Drive is a great time saver for teachers. You could share a “view only” version of your file and require students to go to File>Make a Copy. Unfortunately, this often results in your inbox overflowing with requests for edit access.
A Better Solution
Use this simple trick to share Google Docs Templates. It works for essentially any G Suite file (Docs, Drawings, Sheets, Slides).
Change File Share Settings
- Change the file share settings to Anyone with the link can view.
- Click the Share button at the top-right of your screen.
- Click Advanced
- Click Change… beside Private – Only you can access
- Select On – Anyone with the link
- Access should be set to View by default.
- Click Save
- Click Done
Create a Template Link
- Change the word edit (and any text after edit) at the end of the file’s URL to template/preview.
- Press return.
- Your new link should pull up a preview of the file with a Use Template button.
- Copy and share your new template link.
I prefer this method over creating a force-copy link because it allows users to preview the file before copying it to their drive.
Looking For Google Docs Templates?
Check out these previous posts:
Don't Miss a Pick - Follow Us